Thursday 18 October 2012

Selections - 'The Showcase' Cheltenham

I am attending both days of Cheltenham's 'Showcase' meeting this weekend, consequently I will be far too busy to blog! Before I leave for Gloucestershire, I feel obliged to reveal my thoughts on the weekends action, I hope these selections are as successful as last week!


2:10 - Neptune Investment Management Novices Hurdle
Selection - The New One - Even Money
In recent memory, has there been a horse that has caused such a stir from the Twiston-Davies stable? 6th in the Cheltenham Bumper at the Festival last year, the gelding finished last season on a real high by taking the Aintree equivalent a month later. He has a novice hurdle win under his belt after a classy success at Newton Abbot earlier in the month and I would expect him to be too good for his rivals here. The main question mark will be how he handles the uncharted waters the extra 5 furlongs will throw up. I personally think it will be play to his strengths, he has a lot of scope and a stamina test will suit him down to the ground. In time I think he will need even further. He brings the best form into the race and looks a good thing.

The New One
2:45 - 2 miles 4 furlongs Novice Chase
Selection - King Of The Night- 4/1
Undoubtedly the best horse in the race if you look at hurdle ratings. His trainer Harry Fry, who has gone solo after leaving the Paul Nicholls' stable in the summer, has stated that the horse has been schooling nicely. You would imagine King Of The Night is the second best horse in his yard behind reigning Champion Hurdler Rock On Ruby, he was rated 157 over hurdles. He has winning course form at this meeting two years ago and I think his rivals will struggle to give him weight, bearing in mind he was a better hurdler. If he transfers his hurdle form he should go close on his chase debut.

King Of The Night
3:20 Pertemps Handicap Hurdle Qualifier
Selection - Heaney -5/1
Wow this is a competitive race, I found it really hard to narrow it down to one. In the end I've gone for the Irish raider, the Tom Taafe trained Heaney. The gelding looks unexposed, his last win two weeks ago at Gowran over 3 miles was quite impressive. He has been raised 10 pounds for that win, but I think there may be more to come. I am inquisitive as to why he is coming across the Irish Sea for a race so soon after his last run, my guess is this horse ideally wants good ground, which he can't find in Ireland. He is a 5 year old, which suggests to me he is on the upgrade, also Paul Townend comes over to retain the winning partnership. As long as the run two weeks ago, along with his travels,  hasn't taken too much out of him,  I think he stands as good a chance as any in a very competitive race. If I had to look elsewhere I quite like Viking Blond (16/1) each way from the Twiston-Davies yard. The stable is in form and he has dropped to a mark of 127 over hurdles. His novice chase campaign last year was an unsuccessful one, but it looks like he has dropped to a winnable mark over hurdles. Using Cross Kennon as a guide, Viking Blond was a 3 length second to the top weight at the Open Meeting in 2010. 2 years on Cross Kennon is rated 147, Viking Blond 127. This means Cross Kennon has to to give Viking Blond 20 pounds, whereas if you take the previous Open Meeting form, he should only be giving him 3 or 4 pounds. He could be well in.

3:55 - 3 Mile Novice Chase
Selection - White Star Line - 5/1
I don't think this is a great race to be honest. I don't rate many of the horses highly and all things considered, it's a poor novice chase by Cheltenham's standards. Nonetheless, if I had to make a selection it would White Star Line. He is another Irish raider having his first try over 3 miles. He was 2nd to Hunt Ball at the Festival last year and appeared to be done for toe at the bottom of the hill. More recently, he was 2nd to the high class mare Tarla from the Willie Mullins stable over hurdles. If you read the 'comments in running' from the Racing Post, the majority say that this horse 'kept on' to run into the placings. I think perhaps the step up in trip will be to his advantage. Sea Of Thunder is over-rated, he is judged on his run when falling at the last when he was 6 lengths clear in a novice hurdle at Cheltenham last year. What was behind him that day? Deireadh Re and Rev It Up. They have not proven to be great. The rest of his form isn't anything special either.

Iheardu
5:05 - Amateur Riders Handicap Chase
Selection - Iheardu - 11/1
Winner of the race last year off a mark of 105, he runs again this year off 106. I think he prefers quick ground as he does his racing throughout the summer, I fear the good to soft ground at Cheltenham will be too slow for him. He has never won on anything softer than good. However, I would still be keen on taking my chance on this resident of Neil Mulholland's stable. Mr J T Carroll rode him last year and has experience around Cheltenham, that's more than some of the other jockeys can offer. It's a tricky race and I've gone for previous Cheltenham form as my guide. Although if I gave you a fiver and asked you to have a bet for me, I would be happy if you backed almost any of the runners. It's a guess-up!

For my thoughts on the big 2 1/2 mile handicap chase on Saturday please refer to http://thehorseracingblog1.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/cheltenhams-showcase-meeting-preview.html.

Other horses to keep an eye out for over the weekend :
Ranjaan
Qianshan Leader
Bradley
Medinas
Third Intention
Get Me Out Of Here

Also..........Frankel.


No comments:

Post a Comment